Monday, November 19, 2012

Tooth Sensitivity?


What is it?
Tooth sensitivity is something that affects a number of people. It is often caused by eating or drinking something hot, cold, sweet or acidic. Under normal conditions, the underlying dentin of the tooth (the layer that immediately surrounds the nerve) is covered by the enamel in the tooth crown, and the gums that surround the tooth. Over time, the enamel covering can get thinner, thus providing less protection. The gums can also recede over time, exposing the underlying root surface dentin.

The dentin contains a large numbers of pores or tubes that run from the outside of the tooth to the nerve in the center. When the dentin is exposed, these tubes can be stimulated by changes in temperature or certain foods. Good oral health care is a must and affordable at Dr Cardona’s office in El Segundo California….come see us today, or give us a call at 31-322-1814.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Cardona, thank you for your ongoing wisdom. You understand teeth and the mouth like no one I've known, and I'm grateful I was brought to you. As I become more conscious of taking care of myself, I realize how much I appreciate your considerate approach to educating and prevention. These ongoing blog entries are awesome...THANK YOU! Jonah

    ReplyDelete